Prof. Bryan Caplan
Introduction to Eviews
- Getting Started
- Installation instructions come with the software; nothing surprising here.
- To practice, go to the class homepage and click on the Eviews "hw1" file, named hw1.bin.
- Choose the option "Save."
- Once you have the file on your hard drive or floppy disk, rename it hw1.wf1.
- Opening An Eviews Worksheet
- Open the Eviews program (you may want to add the Eviews icon to your toolbar for convenience).
- Once Eviews is open, click on File.
- Then go down to Open, and click the option Worksheet.
- Locate your saved file hw1.wf1 and double-click it.
- Your first worksheet is now open, and you are ready to try a few basic commands.
- Some Easy Eviews Actions
- First, look at the variables inf (Inflation) and un (Unemployment) by double-clicking their icons. You should see a series of 35 variables, running from 1961-1995.
- For each variable, go to View.
- Under the View heading, click on the option "Line Graph."
- Again under the View heading, click on the option "Descriptive Statistics." Select the sub-option "Histogram and Stats."
- A Slightly More Difficult Action in Eviews
- Simultaneously select both inf and un. You do this by first clicking one; then, press and hold the button Crtl while you click the second variable. (If you did this correctly, both variables will be shaded now).
- Go to the View heading and choose the option "Open Selected," with the sub-option "One Window."
- Several new choices will now appear before you. Choose the option "Open Group."
- Name your new group, and close it.
- There will now be a new icon in your worksheet. Re-open it.
- Try out the following options under the View heading:
- Multiple Graphs... Bar
- Feel free to play around some more with Eviews and see what you can learn.