Prof. Bryan Caplan
HW #10 (will NOT be graded)
1. (1 page, double-spaced) Why was there platform divergence in
2. (1 page, double-spaced) How would restricting the franchise to
college graduates affect
3. (half page, double-spaced) Name one political issue where you think random errors largely "cancel each other out." If a referendum were held on this issue, how would the vote shares and outcome differ from a world with perfect information?
4. (half page, double-spaced) It frequently happens that two senators who represent the same state disagree. Is there any way for the Median Voter Theorem to explain this?
5. (half page, double-spaced) Name one policy of the federal government that you believe a majority of Americans oppose. How does this policy survive?
6. (2 pages, double-spaced) Select a theoretical paper on some sort of "political failure." Pretending you are Donald Wittman, critique the paper's thesis. What are the objectionable assumptions that drive the results?
7. (1 page, double-spaced) What standard stories of political failure are hardest for Caplan's rational irrationality model to explain?