Clinton's Dialogue On Race

Last Thursday, Jim McLehrer hosted PBS' "A Dialogue on Race" with President Clinton and eight panelists. There is no evidence that more talking about race, the way we've been, will produce solutions. There must be honest talk and sensible steps taken.

First, all Americans should applaud the fact that the civil rights struggle is over and won! At one time black Americans didn't enjoy the constitutional protections that white Americans enjoyed. There were laws that restricted where blacks could live, attend school, who they could marry, what restrooms could be used and other restrictions. That's all history now. The fact that we have constitutional protections and there's no more codified discrimination does not mean all vestiges of discrimination have been eliminated. What it does mean is the discrimination present today poses nowhere near the barrier it posed yesteryear.

During the President's dialogue, the issue of racial preferences arose. Chicago Tribune columnist Clarence Page said, in reference to panelist Elaine Chaos complaint about quotas against Chinese in a San Francisco charter school, "If you want diversity in San Francisco schools, if you want that virtue of having your kids exposed to other kids of different races and backgrounds, then you've got to be willing to say we got to put a ceiling on some people." Had the conversation been about diversity in the NBA, whose roster is 80 percent black, I wonder what kind of ceiling on blacks Page would have proposed in order to have more Chinese, Japanese and Indian players. Neither the President nor any panelist had the gumption and moral fortitude to say that creating an advantage for one American by punishing another is immoral and flies in the face of decency and democratic principles.

There's a much deeper problem in matters of race. Blacks are treated as victims in need of salvation by whites. What's worse is that blacks believe it. That's demeaning and destructive to both blacks and whites. Moreover, it insults our history. Why? Blacks came to this country under horrible conditions and survived. Even under slavery's oppression, some blacks gained significant skills and some even became entrepreneurs by stealth. Being 10 percent of the population, we produced great thinkers, orators and lawyers who shook the nation's moral foundations and made the other 90 percent see the betrayal of their principles. Blacks made many significant inputs to American culture in the forms of arts and entertainment, fought honorably in every war, not to mention the fact that if you added up all black income, we'd be the fourteenth richest nation. Those undeniable strengths and achievements, unprecedented in mankind's entire history, do not qualify blacks for victim status and pity.

No one denies that significant problems confront a large segment of the black population. But those problems have little to do with discrimination. There is no evidence that colleges are turning away black students with 1200 SATs, but there's a plenty of evidence that blacks are not achieving high SAT scores. There's no evidence that businesses don't locate in black neighborhoods because white owners and investors don't like dollars coming out of black hands. There's a plenty of evidence that black criminals make economic activity in black communities unattractive. There's no evidence that discrimination accounts for today's unprecedented, devastating illegitimacy, family breakdown and dependency rates. There's a plenty of evidence that irresponsible personal choices do.

The major problems that stand in the way of broader advancement will be solved only when blacks finally recognize that our destinies lie in our hands and only we can solve what are essentially black problems - not Washington, politicians and the intellectual elite.

Walter E. Williams

c33-98

July 10, 1998

Return to Articles page